The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) provides standards for STAA trucks based on the Code of Federal Regulations Title 23 Part 658. These standards designate the minimum truck sizes that all states must allow on the National Network.
The National Network includes the Interstate System and other designated highways which were a part of the Federal-Aid Primary System on June 1, 1991. These other designated highways are listed in Title 23 Part 658, appendix A, however, states are encouraged to allow access for STAA trucks on all highways.
For more detailed information:
- Caltrans Office of Truck Services
- Truck Length Chart – California Legal and STAA (PDF 542K)
- FHWA standards for STAA trucks
- Code of Federal Regulations Title 23 Part 658
- Caltrans District 1 Truck Map (PDF 660K)
- Caltrans District 1 Bus and Motorhome Map (PDF 462K)